It’s that time of year again, patio season is coming to a close until next year. Here are a few key tips for taking care of your outdoor furniture during the upcoming colder months.
1. Store your outdoor cushions and umbrella canopies inside for the winter. Make sure that they are clean and dry before storing. If you need to clean your Sunbrella cushions use a soft cloth and a mild detergent (dish soap).
2. Clean off your outdoor furniture frames, hose them down and if necessary use a mild detergent (dish soap). Be sure to never use any harsh chemicals on your outdoor furniture.
3. Stainless steel give it a quick once over with mineral oil after you clean it. Mineral oil will help protect against corrosion over the winter, repeat again in the spring.
4. Teak furniture can be left outdoors uncovered all 12 months of the year, no matter where you live. If you choose to cover your teak furniture during the winter use a material that allows the wood to breathe. If you put your furniture away for the winter do not store it in a heated room. Heat can dry out the wood. It is normal for teak to have minor cracks. Teak will expand and contract over time and temperature changes. Clean your teak at the beginning and end of the season. Clean with a mix of dish soap and water. Any mold or mildew can be removed with a bleach and water combination.
5. Cover your furniture with proper, fitted covers. Outdoor furniture is meant to survive harsh Canadian winters however covering it with proper protective covers will increase its life span and preserve its luxurious appearance.
6. If you have the space and opt to store your furniture in a garage, gazebo, pool house or anywhere that the temperature dips below zero, be sure that all of your furniture remains in the position it was meant to be in, up right. Do not store any tables on their sides, etc. Aluminum frames have weeping holes, allowing any water/moisture to drain. If this frames do not drain properly flash freezing can occur, ultimately causing your aluminum frames to burst, not covered under warranty.
Visit either our Markham or Port Credit locations to pick up our in stock covers now!